Policy, Management & People
- SIT Housing Invercargill City Council is meeting this week to consider investing in housing for SIT students. Housing availability is tight down there, and may constrain student growth.
- Productivity The Productivity Commission’s Murray Sherwin is speaking about the tertiary education inquiry in a public lecture at Canterbury Uni next week.
- WITT AR The Taranaki Daily News covered WITT’s 2014 annual report, confirming that delays in its release were due to discussions over the accounting treatment of a repayment to TEC.
- RIP Kevin Smith Fairfax had an obituary for Kevin Smith, managing director of the NZ Institute of Fashion Technology.
- Wintec Death A person died at Wintec’s Rotokauri campus on Sunday – the death was referred to the coroner.
- Key Info Set TEC wants TEOs to check the Key Information Set for their qualifications. There’s no deadline on that page, and the process just seems to be getting started.
- Not Your Average…is the name of a new marketing initiative by BCITO starting today. They’ll be building an entertainment pod, using apprentices, at Auckland’s Sylvia Park Mall over 3 weeks.
- Otago Uni EFTS…were down 2.2% last year. The Uni also had more students disciplined, but cheating was down.
- 50 Years Sharon Cox has spent 50 years working at Massey.
- Future of Work Simon Collins at the NZ Herald explored skills issues arising from Labour’s Future of Work event.
- Old News Two old news releases (about enrolments and a Chinese delegation) about Whtireia made it into Thursaday’s news post.
Research & Innovation
- Quakes Canterbury Uni’s Prof Brendon Bradley will receive an international earthquake engineering prize next month.
- CoRE Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga had the first meeting of its new board last week.
- Triggers The cover of student magazine Massive sparked a debate on trigger warnings.
- Tauranga Sports Waikato Uni is apparently paying $1.3m for naming rights and other aspects of a new Tauranga performance sports training centre. Meanwhile, BOPP is now a member of the Athlete Friendly Tertiary Network.
- Skill Shortages WelTec’s Caryn Ellis commented in a story on chef skill shortages. The Primary ITO has apparently supported keeping beef and cattle farming on the skill shortages list.
- Artbox CPIT Aoraki has taken on responsibility for a temporary exhibition space, Artbox.
Teaching & Learning
- Fashion Whitecliffe College of Art and Design has a new Masters major in fashion and sustainability.
- Imagine Cup Auckland Uni students have won the Microsoft Imagine Cup competition with a platform to link home chefs with consumers (Newshub, media release, NZ Herald).
- Workplace Literacy Spasifik profiled a visit by a Singaporean delegation to a workplace literacy programme.
- NCEA Driving Fairfax had a long piece on the inclusion of driving test results in NCEA.
- Males in ECE Fairfax profiled 3 male students at Vision College.
- Prison Dogs MIT subsidiary Mahurangi technical Institute is teaching prisoners to train dogs.