Policy, Management & People
- Unemployed Youth National has proposed guaranteeing access to work experience or training for those on a jobseeker’s benefit for 6 months or longer (10% of young people are on that benefit). Those who refuse the opportunity will lose 50% of their benefit (completions might be harder with a possibly unmotivated cohort).
- Election Jacinda Ardern was at Waikato Uni. Bill English made it to SIT.
- Wood Boiler Ara in Timaru has shifted its wood boiler from coal to wood pellets.
- Litigation Intueri’s liquidators are considering legal action against unnamed parties, but liquidators often say that and don’t follow through.
Rankings AUT and Waikato Uni celebrated a rise in their THE rankings, and Otago Uni maintained its place. RNZ covered the latest rankings, while Auckland Uni’s VC said NZ needed to invest more in universities to stay up in the rankings. Chris Whelan of Universities NZ was interviewed on the same issue.
Electric Cars Ara and Canterbury Uni will be hosts for a new electric car sharing scheme in Christchurch.
Awards Connexis will give out its trainee and trainer awards next week.
Tongan AUT is supporting Tongan Language Week.
Adult Learning TEC reported back on a breakfast at Parliament to promote Adult Learners’ Week.
Migrant The Taranaki Daily News profiled an Indian UCOL graduate’s path to his nursing career.
Teaching & Learning
- Tourism Toi Ohomai tourism students are fundraising for a familiarisation trip to Queenstown.
- Care and Support Wintec has launched a new L4 Certificate I Health and Wellbeing, Social and Community Services programme.